Tuesday, August 16, 2016

"Clearing" you credential in California

Most people don't understand how it works... even I didn't really understand it at the time.

Anyhow, when you complete your credential program in California, it is only PRELIMINARY. That means you have 5 years from the time your receive your preliminary credential to "CLEAR" it.
By clearing it, you have one of two options.

1. Find a full-time teaching job in a public school and complete the district's induction program. It is usually two years and is free. This means that you will have to go to class once a week I believe. I don't really know because I did not choose this route.

**Some districts like San Diego Unified have another option within this option that cuts the induction program time to one year if you have been teaching full-time at least a year I believe.

2. This option costs money. But for me, the money was worth the time I saved by not have to drive to campus and allowed me to complete the classes completely online during the semester I chose. I picked summer because I don't see how anyone in their right might would want to do during the school year! But it is doable as I had 3 of my co-workers do it during the school year! Kudos to them.

For me, I chose this because I was already under so much stress with teaching Mandarin and having a lot of health issues at the time.

I have gotten used to online classes and like that I can do my assignments at my convenience.

The program at SDSU cost roughly $2000ish, all of which was paid incrementally during the program.

**Other universities also offer this option usually when you can't find that full-time teaching position or your district is so small that it does not have an Induction Program. Concordia University is one option. However, they require proof that your district does not offer an induction program.

For more information you can visit the California Teacher Credentialing (CTC) website here.

So as of Jan 2016, my credential is cleared! It is now good for 5 years... then you have to renew and pay money... that's all they really want... money.

If you have not cleared your preliminary and your expiration date is coming up soon, just go to the CTC website and file for an extension. For $75.00 you can file for a 3-year extension. I found it better to file for the extension before it expires, otherwise things can get a little complicated.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment